Is Arts-Centre Learning the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
- an interest in and passion for the arts
- initiative, imagination and ingenuity when engaging in a variety of creative processes to develop and explore ideas
- the ability to thrive in a fast-paced rigorous program that extends beyond the basic curricular expectation
- a willingness to take advantage of multiple learning opportunities offered through the arts
- characteristics that honour and respect the creativity of peers
- motivation and independence
- the ability to work well in a variety of situations; collaboratively and independently
Characteristics of Arts-Centred Learning
- Arts-focused inquiry integrating Alberta Education’s Programs of Study
- Opportunities for co-constructing knowledge and understanding through the arts
- Develop creative and critical thinking
- Learning comes from the process as well as the product
- Students represent their knowledge and understanding through the multiple perspectives found throughout the arts
- Students learn to appreciate and critique their art and the art of others
- Skill development in the arts is integrated throughout the curriculum using school and community resources
How to Register
For the 2017-18 school year Alternative Program registration begins January 2017. Please take your completed registration package to your designated school after you have attended the parent information session. Please refer to this school’s website for parent information session details.
For families that are new to the CBE and not Canadian citizens, please note you must first attend the Kingsland Reception Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
- See Fees page for fees that apply to all CBE students
- $75.00 resource fee to cover the cost of artists-in-residence and related learning materials.
- Additional cost may be incurred for arts-related field trips, performances and other learning opportunities.
- For middle and junior high students attending the Arts-Centred alternative program parents are responsible to ensure their children travel safely to and from congregated stops. Contact school for further information.
- Students attending high school will be entitled to claim a Calgary Transit Bus Pass rebate.