Exploring Career Choices
Exploratory - Mechanical Insulators
In partnership with The Educational Partnership Foundation (TEPF) and the Heat and Frost Insulators Local 110, students can participate in a free one-semester program to explore insulation and firestop trades, including:
- Insulators (heat and frost) – apply, remove and repair thermal and acoustical insulation on residential, commercial and industrial piping, vessels and other mechanical equipment
- Firestopping – focus on flame suppression and smoke containment for fire rated buildings
Students will learn from industry professionals and trainers from the Heat and Frost Insulators Local 110 to prepare students for a future career in this exciting “green” trade. Training takes place in an industry setting by Journeyperson instructors.
Students will gain:
- Theoretical Foundation
- Practical Applications
- Safety Awareness
- Workplace Competencies
- Industry Engagement
Earn industry recognized credentials in:
- Fall protection
- Aerial Work Platform (Elevated Platform)
- First Aid
- Respiratory Fit test
- Skills, Training and Transition to Work:
- Training by qualified Heath & Frost Insulator Training School Red Seal Journeyperson
- Connection to potential work placements
- Completion of industry recognized safety credentials
- Students will earn up to 7 Work Experience credits, dependent on attendance
Up to 7 Work Experience Credits
Open to all CBE high school students, who:
- Are in Grade 11 or 12 during the program
- Are minimum 16 years of age
- Are able to wear respiratory protection
- Are mature, punctual and reliable, as this is an industry setting
- Are able to commit to the duration of the program and attend one of two cohort times
- Have completed the following
- HCS3000 – Workplace Safety Systems
- HCS3010 – Workplace Safety Practices
- CSTS2020 – Construction Safety Training Systems (HCS3950)
All courses are available through the home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor and should be completed
prior to applying.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the training centre each day.
- Students will need CSA approved steel-toed boots and full body coveralls
- Semester 2 (February to May), Monday to Thursday
- AM Cohort – Monday – Thursday, 8:30 – 11:30 am OR
- PM Cohort – Monday – Thursday, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
- Note: past years there has only been one cohort for this program in the afternoon, however, the potential for 2 cohorts is possible, if student interest allows
Program Delivery and Location
- In-person at the Heat & Frost Insulators Training School – Local 110 (6165 6th Street SE)
- All attempts will be made to place students in their preferred cohort (AM or PM), if noted on their application
How to Apply
- The application deadline for February 2023 programming has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!
- Applications for Summer and Fall 2023 programs will be posted in Spring 2023 – check back often!
The application deadline for February 2023 has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!