Posted Stops are Final
Students attending Alternative Programs within the CBE access yellow school bus transportation under a congregated stop model. Congregated stops are used when a small number of students from multiple communities congregate or gather at one stop to take a bus to their chosen school.
The bus stop may be well beyond reasonable walking distance from a student’s home. Families may be required to arrange for transportation to and from the congregated stop. The routes and stops are final and changes will not be made based on new registrations or the route students must travel to get to the stop location.
When CBE selects a congregated stop location we look at a number of factors include student safety, ease of access for the bus, public space for students to gather and available parking for parents. Learn more about what safety means to CBE Transportation Services.
Determining Bus Stop Locations
When scheduling school bus routes Section 9 of The Calgary Board of Education's Administrative Regulation 6095 - Student Transportation is followed.
It is important to note that as we plan safe and accessible bus stop locations, there may be slight variances in distances for some students to ensure safety of the location. These changes will also impact other bus routes and stops across the system.
Parents should be aware of the following:
Every effort is made to keep ride times to within one hour each way. Due to the sparsity of students, buses must travel long distances to service the schools offering alternative and special needs programs, therefore, ride times may be longer in some cases.
- Parents are responsible for ensuring their child's safety while traveling to and from, and while at the bus stop.
- School bus routes are developed using all pre-registrations that are submitted by June 14, 2020.
- Changes to routes will not be made until after Thanksgiving each year unless they are necessary, e.g., road closure.
- If a student has more than one address, only the primary residence address will be used for transportation purposes. The CBE cannot provide two or more bus stops for one child; however, students are allowed to use any existing bus stop that is convenient for them as long as they have registered and paid for transportation.
- Bus routes or schedules are subject to change at any time during the school year.