The decision for West Springs School was appealed by parents.
June 9, 2014 – Response to the appeal of the West Springs School decision includes:
- Remain K-6 for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Enrolment capped at approximately 100 new kindergarten students each year using the CBE lottery process to determine admission.
- K-Grade 6 students who cannot be accommodated at West Springs School will be designated to Rosscarrock School effective September 2014.
- Effective September 2015 Grade 5 students designated to Rosscarrock School.
- Effective September 2016 onward Grade 5 and 6 students designated to Rosscarrock School.
It will take two years to complete the transition. In 2015 the school will be K-4 and Grade 6, as this group of Grade 6 students will finish at West Springs School.
View the full response from the Deputy Chief Superintendent to the West Springs School decision appeal.
Wildwood School – Effective September 2014
- New Kindergarten - Grade 6 Cougar Ridge students will be designated to Rosscarrock School
- Siblings of Cougar Ridge students currently attending Wildwood School can register for kindergarten at Wildwood School.
Existing Cougar Ridge students attending Wildwood School will not be asked to leave.
- New Kindergarten - Grade 6 Aspen Woods (West of 85th Street) students will be designated to Jennie Elliott School.
- Siblings of Aspen Woods (West of 85th street) students currently attending Wildwood School can register for kindergarten at Wildwood.
Existing Aspen Woods (West of 85th Street) students attending Wildwood School will not be asked to leave.
Reason for Engagement
West Springs School and Wildwood School are reaching capacity and will require overflow school locations for 2014. There is an opportunity to consult these school communities as we work on solutions in this quadrant of the city.
Our goal is to get feedback on information, alternatives and decisions by consulting with the public throughout the process. We will keep you informed, listen to and acknowledge concerns and aspirations and provide feedback on how public input influenced the decision.
The CBE makes decisions about changes to school designations, including grade configurations, by following our guiding principles. Your input may influence the possible options considered and final implementation plan.
Decisions on any attendance area or grade configuration changes will be made by CBE administration in conjunction with the area director and the director of planning & transportation.
If you have questions about this community engagement project, please contact the school principal or Area Office.