A Year of Stability
The 2016-17 provincial budget
was released in April and funded the CBE for enrolment growth, ensuring that the approximately 1500 new students we welcome into our schools next year will be fully funded. Our 117,000 students will have a year of stable funding and we will continue to maximize the dollars directed to students in classrooms.
We will continue to listen and make decisions based on our values and the needs of our community. Our Budget Assumptions Report 2016-19
was presented to the Board of Trustees on May 17 and the 2016-17 operating budget is expected to be delivered to the Board of Trustees on June 14.
Personalization of learning remains our overarching strategy as we enter the 2016-17 school year. This includes:
- improving results for our First Nations, Métis and Inuit learners through a new Aboriginal Education strategy that includes, in part, graduations coaches in each of our high schools and the development of an Aboriginal Learning Centre;
- extending and enhancing inclusive practices through the continued building of professional capital;
- advancing our leadership practices through a focused leadership development program and the development of a new teacher on-boarding process;
- developing and implementing a systemic approach regarding literacy and mathematics; and
- further refining the High School Success strategy