During a health emergency when access to school buildings is being limited for everyone's safety, please follow the Registration instructions outlined on the CBE website.
For students that are new to CBE and
not Canadian citizens, you must first attend the
CBE Welcome Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
Schools accept registrations for the current school year at any time during the school year.
Alternative Program Registration for the 2022-2023 School Year
- Applications for the 2022-23 school year opens on January 17, 2022.
Expression of Interest must be submitted to your designated alternative program school before completing a registration form.
- You must submit your
Expression of Interest with proof of address before noon on
Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022, the week of Teacher’s Convention.
Note: Lottery draws for schools at capacity will take place the following day. Alternative program schools who are not in a lottery may extend these dates to continue to accept registrations. Contact the school to find out their status.
- Parents must attend an information session and/or view informational presentation. For details please visit your desired school’s website.
- Students entering kindergarten or Grade 1 can register for alternative programs. For language programs, prior language experience is not required and parents do not need to know the language.
Alternative Program Registration Process
Feb. 15, 2022 by 12:00 PM | Email an
Expression of Interest with proof of address to the designated alternative program school. Do NOT complete an online or paper registration form yet.
Feb. 25, 2022 | The school informs the parent / legal guardian whether there is space in the program for their child and whether they must complete the online or paper registration form.
Mar. 11, 2022 | No later than this date, for those offered a space, the parent / legal guardian informs the school whether or not they will be accepting the offer.
Alternative Program Expression of Interest
Expressions of Interest are required for consideration to attend an alternative program in CBE, for children entering kindergarten and other students who are 'resident' to CBE. All expressions of interest are based on Priority Lists in
Administrative Regulation 6090 | Child and Student Registration and Admission.
- Completing an Expression of Interest does not guarantee acceptance into an alternative program.
- Registration will not occur until a family receives an offer of acceptance and an invitation to register.
- Acceptance into a kindergarten program does not guarantee registration in Grade 1.
- If you do not get accepted into an alternative program you will not be automatically enrolled in your designated school for the regular program.
You must apply for the regular program after receiving notice that you have not been accepted. Please apply to one school at a time. For questions about your regular designated school’s current enrollment numbers, please contact the school directly.
Students currently enrolled with CBE
Transportation for Alternative Programs for important information on transportation options. Parents will want to carefully consider the transportation services to and from the alternative program they want to enrol their child in.