Skip Navigation LinksCBE HomeNew to Canada

New to Canada

New to Canada Welcome


The Calgary Board of Education (CBE) is Calgary's public school system. We welcome all children and youth to our schools. Our schools are welcoming, caring, respectful and safe environments where students will learn, make new friends, and discover their talents and interests.

Register Your Child for School

Students new to Canada who have Canadian citizenship are asked to refer to the Canadian Citizen Registration section of Registering for School for next steps. Students who are not Canadian citizens must register through CBE Welcome Centre, even if they have attended school elsewhere in Canada. This includes:

  • Permanent Residents;
  • Refugee Claimants;
  • Children of lawfully admitted temporary residents:
    • Parents / Legal Guardians on work permits;
    • Parents / Legal Guardians on study permits;
  • Parents / Legal Guardians is permanent resident or Canadian and their child is not; or
  • International Fee-Paying Students K-9 who are approved by the CBE’s Global Learning Department.
    Note | International Fee-Paying Students in Grades 10-12, who are approved by the CBE’s Global Learning Department, contact the high school they were accepted to as per the letter of acceptance for registration information. Do not contact CBE’s Welcome Centre.

To make an appointment for registration, please call the Welcome Centre at 403-817-7789​.

CBE Welcome Centre is open for registration year-round, except for the first two weeks in July, winter break and spring break.

Interpreters are available to assist. There is no cost to families for language interpretation services.

English Language Assessment

All students new to CBE in Grades 1 to 12 who are not a Canadian citizen and who speak a language at home other than English, will complete an English Language Proficiency Assessment.

Students will be assessed on their ability to:

  • speak;
  • read;
  • write; and
  • understand English

Your child’s school can appropriately support your child’s English language learning needs based on the results of the assessment.

If your child is a Canadian citizen and/or if your child is in Kindergarten, the English Language proficiency assessment is done by the staff at the school.​​

 Contact Us

Admissions and Assessment Office

CBE Welcome Centre

1221 - 8 Street SW


Student and interpreter

Last modified: 2/24/2022 1:46 PM
Website feedback: Webmaster