Student log in help
Are you new to the CBE?
- If you are new to CBE and don't know your password, ask your teacher for your initial password.
- You will need to change your password before you log in to CBE applications like Brightspace or G Suite for Education for the first time unless your school tells you otherwise.
- If you need to change your password use the
Student Password Hub .
What’s my username?
- CBE students log in to Brightspace with their
student ID number.
- Your teacher or school staff can tell you your student ID number.
- Some students may have
dash and code at the end of their student ID which is
not used to log on to Brightspace. For example, log on to your school computer with 99991234-972, then log on to Brightspace with
I don’t know (or forgot) my password.
- Your Brightspace password is your CBE network password.
- If you already set up a recovery email in your
Student Password Hub profile, you can reset your own password.
- Talk to your teacher. School staff have access to tools to help you reset your passwords.
How do I change my password?
Use the Student Password Hub to:
- Change your password
- Set up a profile with a recovery email in case you forget your password.
You can also use other computer tools to change your password;
- On a CBE Windows computer on the CBE network: CTRL ALT Delete > Change Password
- On a CBE Mac computer on the CBE network: System Preferences > Security and Privacy
What if I’m still having issues logging in?
- If you see the message "invalid username and/or password" use the Student Password Hub to change your password.
- If changing your password doesn’t work, talk to your teacher. Your teacher can get help for you.
- If you are a student at CBe-learn school or Chinook Learning Services, please go to their websites for help.
I can't see a course or new school after I log in.
Talk to your teacher. You may need to be enrolled before you can see your course or the course may not yet be active.
Stay safe / Don't get hacked
these safety tips from Google for ideas including:
- Use a strong password, and never share your password.
- Always log out of Brightspace when you leave your computer. Don't just close your browser.
- Set up your computer, laptop, tablet or phone to automatically lock with a PIN when it goes to sleep.
If you think your account was hacked, tell your teacher or principal right away so they can help you. If you know it, also change your password as soon as possible with the
Student Password Hub.
If you feel that someone is acting inappropriately online or you are feeling unsafe, talk to your someone you trust such as your teacher or principal as soon as possible.
Cyber-bullying is never OK.
Assignments dropbox – I'm having trouble submitting my assignment.
- Be sure your file name is less than 30 characters long and does NOT contain spaces or characters like " * / : < > ? \ | -
- Be sure your file has a compatible file extension (such as .doc, .jpeg, .mp4 or .pdf). Check
Platform Requirements for details.
- Try a different browser, device or internet connection.
- Check your internet connection and chose the strongest, fastest connection available to you.
- For larger files,
- There is a 150MB file size limit for each submission at CBE.
- Try zipping the file before uploading it to your dropbox.
- For large PowerPoint presentations, try compressing pictures.
- Upload your file in your G Suite for Education folder and submit via Brightspace Assignments dropbox
- Be sure to click "Submit" and view the confirmation popup.
- Ask your teacher for help.
Students can choose to receive email or text message notifications from Brightspace about their due dates, new content items, discussions, assignments, ePortfolio, quizzes, grades, announcements and more.
To watch a video of how to set up notifications by email or mobile, click
Troubleshoot - Not receiving SMS verification code? Double-check that the cell number and mobile carrier entered is correct. Check with your carrier that your service supports SMS (text) notifications.
Please note: email notifications will show as coming from D2Lnotifications(at)cbe.ab.ca and this is a no-reply email where replies are not received.
Where do I go for help using Brightspace?
Is Brightspace access forever?
When you leave the CBE or graduate, you will lose access to all of your courses and school work in Brightspace by D2L. Download your work from your
ePortfolio (from your Brightspace homepage under the “Student Tools” tab) BEFORE you leave.
Where can I find Virtual Classroom support
Support can be found on our
virtual classroom page.
I can’t see any Content topics at all, what can I do?
Brightspace requires the newest version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Edge to open content. Chrome is recommended. Try updating your device to any of these browsers newest versions. Some older devices, such as older ipads may not be able to update to the newest Browser versions. If your device won’t update try another device/computer or contact your teacher to let them know.
For more help, contact us:
We will not ask you for this information, but please have it available so that you can log in:
- Student ID
- Student Email
- Student Password