Please Note: Only teachers can create a Google Meet. Students can join a Meet session with a Meet code, or “nickname”.
Preparing for a Meet Session
- Be sure you have a fully charged device with a microphone and camera enabled.
- Choose a quiet space with a comfortable chair and as little background noise as possible so you can focus on the session.
- If there is background noise in your area, use a headset that has a microphone (e.g. Apple earphones, headset).
- Test your microphone before the session in case you use it to participate during the meeting.
- Check in 10 minutes before the start time to make sure everything is working.
- Be prepared with physical and digital documents open before you join.
- As soon as you enter the call, mute your microphone.
- Mute your microphone whenever you are not speaking to reduce background noise.
- Adjust your camera so you feel comfortable or turn it off if it is distracting.
- Use the microphone and chat as directed by your teacher. Be an active participant, listening intently. Use the chat and the microphone to participate and share as instructed.
Acceptable Use Guidelines
Digital citizenship is important as you engage in ongoing learning. Be respectful of yourself, others, and the online space in which you learn.
- Listen to and follow instructions.
- Participate when and how your teacher directs you to.
- Listen to and respect the contributions of others.
- Share information that is useful and supportive.
- Use appropriate, supportive language.
- Always ask for permission to share or record others’ work or images.
Respect Online Space
- Use technology tools and resources for the learning purposes they are meant for.
- Report issues to your teacher immediately.
- Use the Chat stream for questions that require an immediate response.
- Ask your teacher how to “put up your hand” to ask a question during the Meet. Your teacher will tell you what word or phrase to use in the chat to let them know you wish to participate.
Help and Support
Thank you to the Edmonton Public School Board for allowing us to adapt this work.