Unique Pathways & Off-campus Education

Questions & Answers

Q.1 Is there a course Information Night and Orientation?

Yes, Information Sessions are held before the application deadline to help students learn more about the program and expectations. Students are encouraged to attend in order to ask questions and determine their eligibility and program fit. The dates/times/links of these sessions can be found on our Information Sessions page.

Q.2 If a student is accepted into a program, they will be invited to an Orientation Session?

For programs running during the school year, there is generally one Orientation Sessions which are held for students after they have been accepted into the program. This will be a combined session between the CBE Supervising Teacher and the post-secondary instructor. This session is mandatory.

For programs running in the summer, the first day of class typically includes the Orientation information and there is not a separate event.

Q.3 How does Dual Credit or Exploratory programming fit into my timetable?

A Dual Credit or Exploratory course fits into your timetable with the help of your Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor. Course information on the website provides information of when courses take place and are a good place to start and can be found here on our website (www.cbe.ab.ca/uniquepathways). Off-campus Coordinators and Guidance Counsellors will also be able to provide more information on the expected workload of the course and how much time students can expect to spend per week on course work.

Q.4 How much does it cost? Are textbooks and materials free?

The program tuition and textbooks are paid for by CBE in conjunction  with donations from our program sponsors, therefore there is no direct tuition and textbook cost for dual credit students. Other course materials required for the course (seeds and soil, for example) will be provided as well. On some occasions, materials are loaned out to students to use during the course of the program and should be treated with care and respect, as they will be collected at the end of the course and used for the next group of students.

We do ask that students speak to the CBE Supervising teacher and/or their Off-campus Coordinator if they need support with any other requirements (eg. laptop access,transportation etc.).

Q.5 Do I have to pay for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)?

Yes, students are responsible for purchasing their own personal protective equipment (PPE). PPE includes items like work boots, lab scrubs, eyewear and helmets, depending on the program.
Some students are eligible for funding to support them with their PPE. Please talk to your Off-campus Coordinator and/or Guidance Counsellor to ask if you meet the criteria.

Q.6 Who do I talk to at school about these programs?

You can talk to your Off-campus Coordinator and/or Guidance Counsellor about connecting to these programs. You can also email uniquepathways@cbe.ab.ca to ask specific questions. See our main page to view all the choices for Dual Credit and Exploratory programs. Information Sessions are held leading up to the application deadline, which is a great place to ask questions! All Information Sessions will be recorded and the slides and videos will be posted and linked to on our site following the session.

Q.7 When do courses start? When do they end?

Each course or program has its own start date. Typically, Semester 1 courses start in September and end in December, and Semester 2 courses start in February and end in May. Full Year courses start in September and go until May. See the course information on the website at www.cbe.ab.ca/uniquepathways -opportunities to find out when your course of interest starts and ends.

Q.8 What does asynchronous mean?

Asynchronous means students are independently working on assignments, tests and exams. Students log in and have access to the course content through a  learning management system like D2L, provided by the post-secondary institution. Schedules may vary and are posted by the post-secondary instructor. Students need to check their course and post-secondary email on a regular basis. Some asynchronous courses do require students to engage in group work, which may mean communicating with other students in the course to arrange a time to meet online to collaborate.

Q.9 What does synchronous mean?

Synchronous means that course instructors have a specific time when students are expected to be online, present and taking the course. Students log in and have access to the course content through a course learning management system like D2L, provided by the post- secondary institution. Schedules are posted by the post-secondary instructor and students need to check their course and post-secondary email on a regular basis.

Q.10 Who will my teacher be?

Dual Credit program students will be taught by post-secondary instructors and supported by a CBE supervising teacher. Exploratory program students will be taught by industry instructors and supported by a CBE supervising teacher.

Q.11 How do I apply?

Most applications can be found on our website under each offering under "How to Apply". There are also supporting documents that you can use for help. Students  need to work with their Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor, who would submit the application on the student’s behalf.

Q.12 Why do I have to use my CBE email (@educbe.ca) on the application?

Personal emails are not accepted by our post-secondary partners as a main contact. Your CBE edu email is connected to your school profile and is considered a primary, professional contact that can be accessed by all partners. Please see your Off-campus Coordinator, Guidance Counsellor or homeroom teacher if you do not know your CBE edu email.

Q.13 What is a Statement of Intent?

The Statement of Intent is the most important part of the application. It should reflect key ideas and reasons why you are interested in taking the course and how the course connects to your future goals. There are many ways you can provide your Statement of Intent. You can find more detailed information on our website under Supporting Documents – How to Guide – Statement of Intent. 

Q.14 What is a Statement of Support?

The Statement of Support is a statement from a teacher or other staff member at your school that recommends you to the program. You can find more detailed information on our website under Supporting Documents - How to Guide- Statement of Support.

Q.15 When is the deadline for applications?

Application deadlines are posted on the website in each individual offering page.

Q.16 How do I know if I was accepted or not?

Students will not receive an offer of acceptance before the application deadline has passed. The successful application process is as follows:

  • student receives a confirmation email within 2 weeks of their application being submitted
  • successful applicants receive an offer
  • unsuccessful students will receive an email
  • successful applicant confirms the offer
  • if extra seats become available, waitlisted students will receive an offer

Q.17 What if I don’t know if I am in the course?

If you are unsure you are in the course, you can email uniquepathways@cbe.ab.ca to confirm.

Q.18 How many credits do I get?

Each course is different and has its own credit allocation. Some are 3 credits, while others earn up to 25 credits! Please see the course  information link on our website at www.cbe.ab.ca/uniquepathways for the credit details for the specific course you are interested in.

Q.19 Do I need a computer?

For online courses - yes. Generally, you can use either a desktop or laptop/chromebook* with a camera. Some courses have specific technology requirements, which can be found on each course offering page on our site (www.cbe.ab.ca/uniquepathways)

*Note - for SAIT Dual Credit courses, iPad and Chrome books may not work for quizzes or exams because SAIT uses a lock down browser.
Please speak with your Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor if you need help accessing technology for a Unique Pathways program. Additionally, once accepted to a program, you can speak with the supervising teacher around technology requirements.

Q.20 How much homework is there?

Dual Credit courses have homework, just like most courses at high school. Each course is different in terms of the amount of time required by students. Students are encouraged to attend the Information Session (or watch the recording) in order to ask these questions and determine if a course is a good fit for them. Students should also discuss the program requirements and workload with your Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor.

Part of the application process is including a Personal Learning Schedule that schedules time to complete weekly assignments, study for quizzes and exams or review course content.

Q.21 Where are the assignments?

Assignments are located in the post-secondary learning management system (LMS) that students log in to. This LMS is different for different  post-secondary institutions. LMSs used by our post secondary partners include D2L, Microsoft Teams, Moodle, etc.

Q.22 Are there final exams? How will I be graded/assessed?

Some courses do have a final exam, others don’t. All courses are graded/assessed differently by instructors. Links to course outlines are often included on each offering page. Course specifics are often discussed during Information Sessions, which students can attend live or watch the recordings.

Some courses, even if they are online, have a final or group project. You are expected to be able to participate in a group, even if the course is online. Your course instructor will provide more information about the course assignments and exam during their orientation, after students have been accepted into the course. If you have questions that are not answered during the Information Session, please reach out to uniquepathways@cbe.ab.ca.

Q.23 How do I get my marks?

Students’ marks and progress comments are located in their post-secondary course portal. Students can log in and see their grade at any time. Students final marks are entered into PowerSchool at the end of the course by the CBE Supervising teacher. Some courses will provide updates throughout the term to the CBE Supervising teacher, which will be posted in PowerSchool.

Q.24 I have an Individualized Program Plan (IPP). How does this impact my Dual Credit course?

Many post-secondary schools recognize and support student IPPs with their accommodations. The CBE supervising teacher and the instructor will guide students how to sign up with the post-secondary student resource center and apply for their accommodations.

At SAIT, for instance, Dual Credit and Exploratory students on an IPP can book an appointment with Accessibility Services to review learning exceptionalities and make a plan for support.

Q.25 Is the course transferrable to other post-secondaries?

Each post-secondary has their own review of Dual Credit courses and decides if the course is transferrable. You can find out updated information on the Transfer Alberta website or directly contact the post-secondary you are planning to attend to inquire about transfer credits.

Q.26 How do I get to my in person program?

Students are responsible for getting to and from their course. We highly recommend you research public transit times before the first day of class to avoid being late.

Some students are eligible for funding to support them with transportation. Please see your Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to ask if you meet the criteria.

Q.27 If I need help during the course - who do I go to?

Your instructor and CBE Supervising teacher are your main contacts during your program with your academic progress and any other questions you may have concerning the course. Your CBE contact also connects with your parents and home school (Off-campus Coordinator and/or Guidance Counsellor) with any other support students may need. ​​​​​​​​

Last modified: 10/23/2023 12:56 PM
Website feedback: Webmaster