Conducting Research in CBE Schools in 2021-22
As of August 18, we are excited to welcome researchers back into our schools, once they have approval to conduct their research in CBE from CBE’s Research & Strategy Department and under the following conditions:
- arrange, in advance with the school, each date they would like to be in-person as well as their arrival and departure times;
- sign in at the school’s Main Office upon arrival and when ready to leave for the day. They may wish to confirm with the staff the day before that the scheduled day still works;
- follow the same protocols required of CBE school staff. These are:
- wear a mask;
- use the COVID-19 Alberta Health Daily Checklist to identify if they should attend on the arranged days or not;
- follow proper hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette;
- physically distance by 2 m, unless not possible as confirmed with the teacher;
- not share personal items (e.g., electronic devices, writing instruments, school supplies, food, food serving utensils, etc.) with staff, students, other visitors, etc.;
- limit the number of spaces they visit, as much as possible, while at the school, outside on the school grounds or offsite with the teacher and class; and
- confirm in advance with the principal any additional school specific protocols (e.g., entry and exit protocols) and follow them while conducting research with staff and/or students.
Given the current public health situation, there may be a need at times during the year to limit or temporarily stop in-person research. Should this happen, researchers who have applied for or been granted permission to conduct research in CBE will be informed via email.
All research conducted in the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) requires approval from the CBE Research & Strategy department. If the application is approved the researcher will receive a letter that will allow them to approach CBE principals for permission to conduct research in the school. Approval to conduct research from the CBE does not obligate any school or individual to participate in the proposed research. The school based principal must be the first point of contact for any school based research.
The CBE values educational research, however we are also mindful that students have been entrusted to our schools
for their education, and thus external research will not be done at the expense of students’ academic programs or well-being.
Who can apply?
Applications are accepted from:
CBE employees conducting research as part of course work or graduate degrees, or conducting research in CBE schools for other professional reasons
Post-secondary faculty or students who are not CBE employees
Institutionally funded projects or non-profit external organizations (e.g., universities, colleges, agencies, hospitals)
How to Apply
email@example.com with any questions.