We want each student to have a successful transition into high school. Although programs and complementary courses vary, all Calgary Board of Education high schools offer a high-quality education. Purposeful choices allow students to personalize and find the best fit for their needs and goals.
Registration for New Students
New to Calgary? Registration for students new to Calgary is ongoing throughout the school year at their designated school.
- Complete the Student Registration Form.
- Bring the registration form, original documents showing your child’s proof of age and legal name (birth certificate or passport, court documents) and proof of your address (the principal may ask to see one or more of the following: driver’s licence, municipal/federal correspondence, financial/residential documents or a utility bill) to the school you want to enrol in.
New High School
Visit the Joane Cardinal-Schubert High School website for student registration information.
Children who are not Canadian citizens must register at the Admissions and Assessment Office at Kingsland Centre (7430 – 5 St. S.W. – map), even if they have attended school elsewhere in Canada.
- Landed immigrants (Permanent Residents)
- Children of individuals who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence, or non-residents
- International fee-paying students who are approved by the CBE’s Global Learning
Call 403-777-7373 to make an appointment to register. Interpreters are available to assist at this appointment.
If necessary, an English language assessment will be done to determine your child’s English skills.
See this page for more helpful information for students who are new to Canada.
When to Register for Current Students
Registration for high school runs from February to September.
Registration Course Guides
Learn more about the courses and their locations in the Detailed High School Course Guide in High School Success.
Summer School for Grades 10-12
High school students currently attending a high school in the Calgary area must have a Prerequisite Information Form (PIF) signed by their high school counsellor to attend Summer School at Chinook Learning Services.
High School Upgrading Registration
Come to Chinook Learning Services to complete your diploma, take extra courses, increase your marks or supplement your schedule. Fall, Winter and Summer intakes are available.
Opportunities for CBE High School Students
At the Career and Technology Centre (CTC) at Lord Shaughnessy High School, students earn high school credits in CTS while completing equivalent Alberta Industry and Training (AIT) courses for their journeyman technical training. See the Career and Techology web page
to learn about the programs offered. Talk to your school counsellor about how to access the opportunities at the CTC.
Off-Campus Work Experience