Banner | Renting CBE Space
Skip Navigation LinksCBE HomeSchoolsRenting CBE Space

Renting CBE Space

Renting CBE Space Public Use of Schools and Facilities

Public Use of Schools and Facilities

August 24, 2021 Update | Rentals For 2021-22 School Year

Public rentals play an important role in making schools so central to every community they serve. The CBE is committed to re-opening public access to CBE gyms as soon as it is safe to do so.  

Unfortunately, in light of the uncertainty around the fourth pandemic wave currently being experienced, the CBE, the Calgary Catholic School District, FrancoSud Board and the City of Calgary have made the decision to err on the side of caution and to limit public access to schools for the fall of 2021.  As a result, the decision has been made to support the health and safety of students and staff in light of the ongoing pandemic through a cautious relaunch that allows for community access to schools outside of instructional hours. This decision will be revisited in October regarding the possibility of allowing public rentals commencing in January 2022.

Rentals permitted for 2021-2022 School year currently are allowed as follows:

  • Public Rentals in CBE Schools will only be conditionally allowed to resume commencing January 2022. 
  • SAHLA (Southern Alberta Heritage Language Association) schools offering Heritage language courses are permitted to resume in class instructional space bookings starting September 16, 2021. 
  • Federal Election set for September 20, 2021.  Advanced polls September 10, 11, 12 & 13.
  • Municipal Election set for October 18, 2021.  Advanced polls October 9 & 10. 
  • CBE Internal use to resume.

Some health restrictions have been lifted for School activities that may provide addition fitness options for children to participate in while at school, although we recognize that this limits additional activities outside of school organized ones.  Additional details can be found here.  

We Thank you for your patience and understanding as we cautiously relaunch public rentals in our schools, when we feel it is safe to do so. 

Contact Facility Rentals if you have any questions or concerns:  email:

Schools and other CBE facilities can be used by registered non-profit organizations or societies when the use will not conflict with the school program or school needs. CBE Administrative Regulation 8004 and the Joint Use Agreement between Calgary Recreation, Calgary Catholic School District an​d the CBE govern the public’s use of schools and other CBE facilities.​

Book a Space

Type of Rental Booking Information

Board or School Sponsored

CBE Rentals
e |
t | 403-817-6300

Public Use

City of Calgary Bookings
Before Booking a Gymnasium
t | 403-268-3800, option 2

Access 3-6

e |

Southern Alberta Heritage
Language Association

e |
t | 403-233-7988

Before and After School or Preschool
e |
t  | 403-817​​-6296​​

​School Field Bookings ​City of Calgary
Booking a Play Field
t | 403-268-3800 option 2

Types of Facility Rentals 

Board or School Sponsored 

A school-sponsored activity is an activity that the school principal or their designate authorizes by planning, organizing and actively supervising for the benefit of the school and its students while abiding by the existing laws and regulations that guide the Calgary Board of Education.  

This type of rental is covered by an agreement with the Calgary Board of Education.


Public Use  

Rentals that are not board or school sponsored are considered public use events and can be booked through Calgary Recreation including School/Parent society activities. 

Before booking, consider which type of space you want to use. There are two types of rental areas in a school facility:

  • Public Use Area including  gymnasiums, shower rooms, auxiliary gymnasiums, multi-use areas, cafeteria eating areas and common areas.
  • Instructional Areas including career and technology facilities, classrooms, libraries, fine and performing arts facilities.

Note | The school principal’s permission is ALWAYS necessary for public use of instructional areas.

Access 3-6 

Access 3-6 is a centralized process for allowing non-profit service providers to run programs for children and youth in schools during the after school hours (prior to 6 p.m.).

This program was developed in collaboration with The City of Calgary, the Calgary Board of Education, and the Calgary Catholic School District.

Programs are open to all children and youth in the community. Completed applications will be sent to the respective school boards for approval of time and space.

A permit will be issued by The City of Calgary for all approved applications. A fee is applied to each permit to provide partial cost recovery for the use of space during the Access 3-6 timeframe.

Application forms are available online, or by emailing

The most notable difference between Access 3-6 and school sponsored programs is that school staff are not involved in any aspect of these programs.

Schools can enquire about potential programming opportunities by contacting:

The City of Calgary
Calgary After School
e |

Southern Alberta Heritage Language Association (SAHLA)

Groups that would like to rent a CBE school to teach a language as a Heritage Language School must be a member of the Southern Alberta Heritage Language Association (SAHLA). Download the Southern Alberta Heritage Language School (SAHLA) Guidelines to learn more. 

Before and After School Programs

We do not operate before and after school programs. However, before and/or after school programs are offered in some of our schools by third party operators. 

For operators looking to lease school space for a before and after school program, contact Real Estate and Leasing for more information or to obtain an application.

e | 
t | 403-817-6296 

Wireless and Internet Access

Wi-Fi and Internet Access Terms and Condition for Rentals and Leasing CBE Facilities​s​

 Contact Us

Facility Rentals
e |


Last modified: 8/24/2021 3:01 PM
Website feedback: Webmaster