The Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual Program provides students with the opportunity to acquire the basic skills for speaking, reading, writing, listening and communicating in both English and Mandarin at a young age. It is a program in which Mandarin and English are used as the languages of instruction, beginning in Kindergarten or Grade 1 and continuing to Grade 9.
- Registration for the 2021-22 school year starts on January 11, 2021.
- Use our Find a School tool to find your designated Mandarin (Bilingual) School.
- Attend a parent information session and/or view informational presentation. Details on your school's website, see links below.
- For families that are new to the CBE and not Canadian citizens, please note you must first attend the CBE Welcome Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
- Students entering kindergarten or Grade 1 can register. Previous Chinese experience is not required and parents do not need to know the language.
Students with previous Mandarin language experience may start the Mandarin Bilingual program at other grade levels. In the case of alternate entry points, the student, parents and principal of the designated school will meet to determine a personalized plan for successful entry.
Please see Transportation for Alternative Programs for important information. Parents will want to carefully consider the transportation services to and from the alternative program they want to enrol their child in.