In high school, students explore new ideas, develop additional interests, build relationships, and pursue their goals. CBE high schools work together and with community partners to give students more flexibility in accessing a wide variety of programs, courses and learning experiences.
High School Information Guides
Academic Enrichment Programs
- Advanced Placement (AP) | | Students who take AP® can earn advanced credit or advanced standing at thousands of colleges and universities.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) | Use Grades 11 and 12 for intensive university preparation and receive a year’s worth of academic credit upon entry to the University of Calgary (for IB Diploma students).
Arts and Sports Programs
- Arts-Centred Learning (ACL) | students develop knowledge and understanding in a variety of topics and disciplines using arts-focused inquiry.
Locations | James Fowler High School and Lord Beaverbrook High School
- Performing and Visual Arts Program | students develop skills, deepen knowledge, and discover their own voice through an enriched experience in one of the following disciplines:
- Music | Band, Choral or strings
- Theatre Arts
- Visual Art/Advanced Placement Studio Art
- Fashion Design
- Media Design Arts
Location | Central Memorial High School
- Alternative High School | provides a highly personalized and democratic learning environment for academically capable students who did not experience success in their designated high school or junior/middle school.
- CBe-Learn | offers a full range of online courses.
- Discovering Choices | an Outreach Program where students work closely with their teachers, in a setting outside of a traditional high school, to set a flexible time table to achieve their educational goals. Students can also access personal and career counselling, conflict resolution, anger management techniques, time management and study skills, parenting skills and learning strategies. There are four Discovering Choices locations in Calgary.
- Louise Dean School | pregnant and parenting teens receive a specialized Grade 9 - 12 education program that offers a flexible schedule for maternity leaves, counselling or lifestyle challenges.
Explore Career Possibilities
- Career and Technology Studies | Students develop skills that can be applied in their lives and potentially to a future career. They can also explore and learn about an area of interest. CTS courses are offered at all CBE high schools. However, different high schools offer different courses.
- CBE students can also take courses at the Career and Technology Centre at Lord Shaughnessy High School.
- Unique Opportunities and Off-Campus Programs | CBE partners with post-secondary institutions, businesses and organizations to offer a wide-range of off-campus courses and work-experience opportunities for students. These experiences often include practical and hands-on learning that can set students up for future success in post-secondary programs or the workplace.
Resources to Help You with Career Planning
- Career Cruising - An interactive career guidance and pathways planning tool designed for people of all ages. The tool can help students to explore different career options, and plan various pathways to meet the requirements for their desired career path. Grades 6-12+
- Alis - Alberta careers, learning and employment information
- ALIS CAREERinsite - A one-stop guide to career planning for Albertans. Create your career plan, get to know yourself with quizzes and exercises, explore options, get ready and take action.
- Calgary Public Library - Job & Career Accelerator Library Card Required. An interactive career selection and job search system, including: occupation profiles, resume building, cover letter writing, interview skills and more.
- Career Exploration Centre - The Career Exploration Centre (CEC) is a fun, interactive environment where you can get hands-on experience with a variety of careers located on the SAIT campus.