Managing Space For Students
At the CBE, every student has the right to a quality learning environment and choice in programming, regardless of where they live. As Calgary continues to grow and evolve, the number of school-age children in each community changes. As a result, new schools are built, while older schools become more expensive to maintain and may also face decreasing enrolment.
These ongoing changes can create challenges that must be addressed so students can continue to access great programming at the CBE. To manage the space we have for students in our schools, we:
program offerings or designations
new school construction and school closure considerations
Pillars of School Planning
These principles guide our decisions for accommodating students:
- Youngest students go to school closest to home
- The best use of space for learning/programming
- Responding to programming needs
- Minimal student transition points; generally moving from school to school with their classmates.
Data-Informed Planning for the Future
Planning prepares several reports each year to monitor enrolment patterns at CBE schools and growth of Calgary communities. The following reports are presented to and approved by the Board of Trustees annually:
Three Year System Student
Serves as an indicator to school communities that changes may need to happen in the future. Identifies high and low utilization schools as well as system priorities and new school projects.
Learn more about SSAP
Provides the framework for dealing with the complexities of city growth and decline and includes requests for new schools and for modernizing older schools.
Learn more about the Capital Plan
Modular Classroom Plan
School Enrolment Report
Prioritizes requests for new modular classrooms based on board-approved filters and ranking criteria. Also identifies modular classrooms beyond their life cycle for disposal/demolition.
View the Modular Classroom Plan
|Includes the following information:
- September 30 enrolment including out of attendance area
- Alternative program enrolment by school and grade
- Specialized classes
- Enrolment in classes for students with complex learning needs
- School capacity and utilization
- CBE actual enrolment (10 years) & projected enrolment (3 years)
- Leased space in operating schools
- Lease of surplus school facilities
- Student population change by community
View the Student Enrolment Report