Due to COVID-19 and the extended tax deadline, the Alberta Government has provided temporary extended coverage for their income support programs. Families applying for a waiver for the 2020-21 school year will need to provide documents showing yearly enrolment in the program beyond September 2020.
Waiver applications are available through your MyCBE/PowerSchool account.
Apply for a Central Fee Waiver
No child is ever denied access to an education in the CBE because of an inability to pay. If you can’t afford the fees, there are several ways to qualify to be eligible for the fees to be waived including:
If you do not meet the criteria above, you may review the criteria for Extraordinary Circumstance Waiver for further support.
For questions about waivers, please contact Student Fees: email@example.com
For inquiries about School Based Fee Waiver, please contact your child’s school.
What fees may be waived?
The CBE will waive fees for parents/guardians if they meet certain income guidelines. Income levels are supported by specific documents. If you qualify, you may apply for a CBE waiver for any or all of the following fees:
- Student Supplies Fee
- Transportation Fee
- Music Instrument Rental Fee
- Noon Supervision Fee
Documents required to apply for a Central Fee Waiver
If you receive assistance from Provincial Social Services
You need to provide a photocopy of either:
- A currently dated Social Services Benefit Card showing applicant’s and student(s) names. OR
- A current letter from Social Services verifying you are in receipt of assistance and the children listed are covered as your dependants.
If you receive the Alberta Child Health Benefit
You need to provide a photocopy of:
- The Alberta Child Health Benefit card and the letter of confirmation of renewal for the current year. (DO NOT send a copy of your Alberta Personal Health Card)
If you are Government Sponsored Convention Refugee
You need to provide photocopies of either:
- Parent(s) “Confirmation of Residency” papers indicating Convention Refugee and a current Citizenship and Immigration cheque stub. OR
- A copy of current dated Interim Federal Health Certificate of Eligibility for applicant and children.
If you have been approved by the City of Calgary’s Fair Entry Program
If you do not have the above documents but have a low income and Treaty status
You need to provide photocopies of both:
- Treaty Status Card and Notice of Assessment for parents/guardians (this is the only situation where any form of income tax papers will be accepted). AND
- Treaty Status Card for each of the children (or a letter from your band verifying each child has treaty status).
If you are an independent CBE student who is not financially supported by a parent/guardian
You need to provide photocopies of both:
- Current lease agreement showing the independent CBE student as primary tenant AND
- A recent paystub of the independent CBE student
Alberta Child Health Benefit income guidelines
|Single parent with 1 child||$26,023|
|Single parent with 2 children||$31,010|
|Single parent with 3 children||$36,325|
|Single parent with 4 children||$41,957|
|Couple with 1 child||$31,237|
|Couple with 2 children||$36,634|
|Couple with 3 children||$41,594|
|Couple with 4 children*||$46,932|
|*For each additional child, add $4,973|
|* For information regarding the Alberta Child Health Benefit, please call 310-0000 then dial780-427-6848 (toll free) or visit the website atwww.employment.alberta.ca/FCH/2076.html.|
Please note it can take several weeks to receive coverage.
Please note: CBE follows the Alberta Child Health Benefits (ACHB) income guidelines to determine waiver eligibility. The ACHB plan is for families with limited incomes. It pays for health services, prescription drugs and dental care for children up to age 18, and up to age 20 if they live at home and are attending high school up to Grade 12.
How to Apply
Please note: in addition to the steps below to have fees waived, you will still need to register for all services by filling out and submitting the required online forms.
Be sure you have the appropriate documents. Step 2:
Complete Fee Waiver application online at MyCBE/PowerSchoolStep 3:
Attach the documentation to your online form indicated for your situation (applicant’s name must be on documentation).
Applications can take up to 8-12 weeks to process. To allow sufficient time to process your application, please apply as soon as possible. The final deadline for application is June 30 of the applicable school year.