Unique Pathways & Off-campus Education
Exploratory - Ironworker
In partnership with The Educational Partnership Foundation (TEPF) and International Associates of Bridge Structural & Ornamental Iron Workers Local Union 725, students can participate in a free one-semester program to explore ironworking. Students will learn from industry professionals and trainers from Local 725 to prepare students for a future career in this exciting trade. Students will gain skills in various aspects of the ironworking trade: structural, ornamental and reinforcing (tying rebar), as well as developing welding skills.
- Earn industry recognized credentials in Aerial Work Platform, Telehandler and Fall Protection
- Training takes place in an industry setting by Journeyperson instructors
- Experience industry training and get a jump start on your industry pathway while still in high school
- Build confidence through developing learning strategies and skills that support your learning transitions
- Learn about on-going opportunities and potential employment opportunities
- Taught by experienced instructors who are connected to industry and support students in making meaningful connections to career pathways
- Earn high school credits and industry safety credentials
Open to CBE high school students who:
- Minimum 17 years of age (18 years of age is preferred for employment)
- Have a strong interest to explore a pathway in the ironworker industry
- Are excited about taking relevant industry training
- Have completed the following pre-requisite courses:
- HCS 3000
- HCS 3010
- CSTS 2020
- Students are expected to be in attendance each day of the program
- If enrolled in this course, students are not permitted to take other summer school courses due to the substantial time commitment to be successful.
- Students are expected to wear the Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
- CSA approved 8” steel-toed boots (must have the CSA green triangle on boot)
- Safety clothing that pertains to the industry such as long sleeve shirts, cotton pants, coveralls, etc.
Program Delivery and Location
- Students are expected to arrange transportation to and from Local 725 for the duration of the program
- In person at Local 725 Training School (6111 36 Street S.E., Calgary AB T2C 3W2)
- Virtual Online Information Session, Tuesday, April 25th, 2023 | 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Session Teams Link
- Summer | Tuesday, July 4 – Friday, July 28, 2023
- Program Time: 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
- In person at Local 725 (6111 36 Street S.E., Calgary AB T2C 3W2)
How to Apply
Applications for Summer and Fall programming deadlines have passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs! Winter courses and application deadlines will be posted in the fall.