Skip Navigation LinksCBE HomeRegistrationRegistrationTransferring Between CBE Schools


Registration Transferring Between CBE Schools

Transferring Between CBE Schools

At the CBE, when you are transitioning from elementary to middle school, or from middle school to high school, you will be automatically registered at your designated school according to your home address. To find out what your designated school is, use our Find a School tool.

If you are interested in attending a school other than your designated school, read the information below. Please note that some schools are quite full and not able to accept all transfer requests.

The​ information below is for current CBE students interested in attending a school other than your designated school. If you are not a​ current CBE student, you first need to register at your designated early childhood services (includes Kindergarten) to grade 9 school or high school using New Student Registration​.​

This information does not​ apply to Home Education.​

High School Transfers for the 2023-24 School Year

High School Transfers for the 2023-24 school year will begin mid-February 2023 with a mid-March deadline. The conditions and process are the same as transferring for the current 2022-23 school year. Please refer to the High School Transfers: Educational Program or Sequence of Courses Requests information below. It will be updated to include information for the 2023-24 school year transfer by the end of January 2023. 

CBe-learn Transfers (Grades 1 to 12)​

Deciding to transfer to CBe-learn is a full school year commitment . CBe-learn transfers are not designed to allow for transitions back to in-person learning until the full online school year is complete.

To request a transfer to CBe-learn:

  1. Visit CBe-learn Program Overview.  
  2. Take the 2022-23 Online Learning Self/Family Assessment Survey to determine appropriateness of program.
  3. Follow the appropriate Transfer Request process outlined below for Elementary and Middle / Junior High or scroll down for the High School Transfer process.      ​

To request a transfer from CBe-learn back to in ​person learning at your designa​ted school:Learn how to transfer back to in-person learning for the next school year.

ECS, Elementary and Midd​​le/Junior High Transfers​    

​Transfer requests for Grades 1 to 9, Early Development Centres​, and Early Childhood Services (ECS, including Kindergarten) are processed in May for the following school year. ​

Students who are already registered with CBE may submit a Transfer Request​for the following reasons.

  • requesting a transfer to the new designated school, due to an address change
    • p​roof of address is required - se​e below
  • requesting a transfer to an out of attendance area school
  • requesting a transfer to an alternative program school, other than the identified designated alternative program school
  • requesting a transfer to the designated school from an alternative program school or out of attendance area school
  • an Early Childhood Services (ECS) child seeking to register for Grade 1 at an out of attendance area school 

Visit our Find a School tool to learn more about your designated school and schools that offer alternative programs in your Area. Some of our schools ha​ve limited spaces available, and transfer requests may not be able to be accommodated.

The transfer form is not used to request specialized system classes. Please talk to your principal for these types of requests.​

    Proof of Address

    For address change requests, proof is required. Accepted proof ​includes:  

    • bank statement  
    • GST rebate  
    • home or renter insurance  
    • income tax statement  
    • mortgage statement  
    • property tax assessment  
    • utility bill 
    • Independent students may use their driver’s license as proof of address  

    The document must include the new current address and the name of the parent, legal guardian or independent student. Schools are not able to accommodate the change of address without the proof of address. ​​

​High School Transfers​​​: Address Changes 

Each CBE student is designated to a high school (Grades 10 - 12) based on their home address on file with the CBE. See 2022-23 High Schoo​l Designation page​ ​​to confirm your designated high school. If a student has moved to a new address, the parent/legal guardian/independent student may request for the student to transfer to their new designated school.  ​

To request a transfer, complete the Change of Address High School Transfer Request Form. You also need to submit proof of the new, current address. See the section above for a list of acceptable proof, which is the same for all grade levels.

​High School Transfers​​​: Unique Settings Schools

For transfers to the following schools, please review the transfer requirements and timelines listed on their school website. Parents must complete the Unique Settings High School Transfer Form  plus any other forms or instructions listed on the school website. ​

​High School Transfers​​​: Educational Program or Sequence of Courses Requests​

​​Each CBE student is designated to a high school based on their home address on file with the CBE.​ See 2022-23 High School Designation page​​ to confirm your designated high school. A parent/legal guardian​/independent student can request for a student to transfer to another CBE high school for the next school year for one of the following reasons:

  • To enrol in an education program not offered at the student's designated school (e.g. International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme or Advanced Placement (AP)​; CBe-learn or
  • To take a sequence of courses up to the 30-level that is not offered at the student's designated school (e.g. cosmetology, welding and fabrication, culinary arts, and auto mechanics).

You can only choose one program, or one sequence of courses, as the reason for your transfer request.​

Availability of Spaces: School Enrolment Status

​Some CBE high schools are quite full, which will impact the number of student transfers that can be accommodated. A few schools are so full with designated student that they are closed to transfers. We will do our best to provide students with the programming or courses they desire; however, it may not be at your preferred location, and in some cases it may not be possible.

​We need to make sure there are enough spaces for students who live in the communities designated to our schools, before we can accept transfers.​​​​ We provide the enrolment status​ of each high school for the following school year. ​Families should review and consider the status when completing the transfer form. Schools are identified as:

  • Open: The most spaces available to accept transfers.
  • Limited: Some space available to accept transfers from students resident to CBE (see AR 6090, Definitions).
  • Closed: No space to accept transfers. The only exception is IB program transfers where the school is the student's Area school for IB, and the student is resident to CBE (see AR​ 6090, Definitions).

High School Transfer Process

The following is the process for transfers for programs and sequences of courses. It does not apply to transfers due to an address change.

  1. C​BE posts the enrolment status (Open, Limited or Closed to transfer) for the following school year for all high schools​.

  2. For resident CBE students (see the section below), the parents/legal guardians/independent students read all the information on this webpage, and then complete and submit the High Sch​ool T​ransfer Request Form by the deadline in mid-March, for requests for the following school year. We will not be able to process requests received after the deadline. ​Students ​must also register and select course​s at their designated high school, while awaiting results of the transfer request. 

    For non-resident CBE students, see the section below. Do not complete a transfer form.

  3. CBE education directors and principals review the transfer requests and make transfer decisions based on the space available in the requested schools, programs and sequences of courses.

  4. In early ​April, the parents/legal guardians/​​independent student are notified of whether a transfer is approved by the CBE, and to which school. Messages are sent to the email address(es) on file with the school.

  5. If a transfer is available, the parents/legal guardians/​independent student have ten (10) calendar days to respond to confirm the transfer. If the transfer is declined, or no response is received, the student will be placed in their regular designated school.

    If a transfer is not approved by the CBE, ​the student will be placed in their regular designated school.

  6. If the transfer is confirmed, the student attends the transfer school the following school year. To remain at that school in ​future years, the student must continue with the program or sequence of courses that determined the reason for the transfer.

Resident and Non-resident CBE Students: R​egistration, Transfers, and Prioritization

When the number of registrations and transfer requests exceed the spaces available, prioritization follows the guidelines of the Government of Alberta as identified in the Education Act, and CBE Administrative Regulations AR 6090 | Child and Student Registration and Admissionand AR 6091 | School ​Transfers.​

resident CBE student has the right of access to education in their designated attendance area. They are registered first, and transferred first (if spaces are available), prior to CBE accepting non-resident students.

resident CBE student is a student where at least one parent/legal guardian (or the independent student) physically resides within the geographical boundary of CBE, and at least one parent/legal guardian (or the independent student) is not of the Roman Catholic faith. Regardless of living or parenting arrangements, parents/legal guardians must only identify one primary address, which must be within the geographical boundary of CBE.​

Instructions for Resident CBE Students

  • For resident CBE students who are currently attending Grade 9 at CBE, you are automatically registered for next school year in your designated high school based on your home address and your current program (regular, French Immersion, or Spanish Bilingual).
  • If you are new to CBE, you need to register directly with your designated high school, based on your home address.
  • If you hope to attend a school other than your designated school, submit a transfer request by the mid-March deadline.

Instructions for Non-resident CBE Students

  • Non-resident Grade 9 CBE students who wish to attend a CBE school in Grade 10 need to register with your nearest Open enrolment status high school that offers your desired program.
  • Do NOT complete a transfer form.
  • After the transfer process is complete for resident CBE students, we will contact you to let you know if a spot is available in the Open school where you registered.​

For schools with an Open enrolment status, after resident CBE students are registered and transferred​, the next priority is students resident in The Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School District, followed by other Alberta students, other Canadians students, and then international students.

When there are not enough spaces to accommodate all transfer requests from students at the same priority level, there will be random draw of the students at that level.

Ineligible Requests

We want students to be able to access their desired program or sequence of courses, whenever possible. To best enable this, we will NOT accept requests for other reasons, such as athle​tic programs, specializations within a course (such as string instruments in band), or requests for siblings to attend the same high school.

High School Information

Learn about Grade 10 to 12 education at CBE on our High School​ webpage.​

For details on many of the sequences of courses available at various CBE high schools (as Career and Technology Studies, CTS), view CTS courses.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Prog​​​ramme

If your designated high school does not offer International Baccalaureate (IB), you can submit a transfer request. You must fulfill the IB program requirements and submit an IB registration.

Advanced Placement (AP)

If your designated high school does not offer the Advanced Placement (AP) class(es) you wish to take, you can submit a transfer request. You will also need to submit an AP registration.

Completion of Program or​​ Courses

If students do not continue up to and including ​​the 30 level with the specific program or sequence of courses that determined the reason for transfer, students will be re-directed back to their designated school. Moving schools during the high school years can be a ​difficult transition for any student. For this reason, it is emphasized that students be very intentional when considering a transfer.

Transportation and Expenses

Families are responsible for all transportation arrangements and any other expenses associated with attending a non-designated school.

Joint Custody

If the student is in joint custody, they are only eligible to transfer if all parents or legal guardians support the decision. If one or more of the child’s parents or legal guardians informs the requested school that they do not agree with the child being placed at that school, the child will remain registered at their regular designated school. The designated school is based on the home address registered with the CBE. ​​

Information to Gather Before Completing the Transfer Form

Before filling out the transfer request ​form, research the following information. For transfer requests due to an address change, this information is not needed.

  • Requested program or sequence of courses. Know what you are requesting to transfer for, specifically. For example, for IB, the form asks which IB program, and which IB classes, you hope to take. For information, talk to you designated school, view schools' websites, and view our High Schools section and CTS courses.
  • Designated school: ​Go to Find a School. Under Search by Address​, type the student's home address, as registered with CBE. Under Filter by Grade Level, click the grade you want to transfer for​. When you scroll ​down, you should see one Regular (10-12) school listed, which is your designated school. For questions, see the points below.
  • Area school:
    • For ​program requests: View the International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement (AP) web​pages to see which schools offer these programs, and speak with your designated high school to confirm your designated Area school for the program. ​ 
    • For sequence of courses requests: Speak with your designated high school,​ and/or view schools' websites to see what courses are offered.
  • ​​Alternative Choice 1: Choose an additional school you would like to attend ​​​that offers the program or sequence of courses you're interested in. The form will only allow you to pick a school with an Open or Limited enrolment status. If there is not an additional school that interests you, ​skip this question.
  • Alternative Choice 2: An additional choice, with the same criteria as Choice 1.



 Contact Us

To find out more about registration at your school, please contact your school directly.


For general questions about registration email us for the quickest response, or call the CBE's School Information Line:​


High School Program or Course
Transfer Request Form
Last modified: 11/24/2022 12:59 PM
Website feedback: Webmaster