Unique Pathways & Off-campus Education
Exploratory - Pipe Trades
In partnership with The Educational Partnership Foundation (TEPF) and Piping Industry Training School Local 496, students can participate in a free one-semester program to explore pipe trades, including plumbing, steam fitting, pipe-fitting, gas-fitting, B-pressure welding and sprinkler fitting. Students will learn from industry professionals and trainers from Piping Industry Training School Local 496 to prepare students for a future career in these various pipe trades. Training takes place in an industry setting by Journeyperson instructors.
Students will gain:
- Theoretical Foundation
- Practical Applications
- Safety Awareness
- Workplace Competencies
- Industry Engagement
Earn industry recognized credentials in:
- Fall protection
- Aerial Work Platform (Elevated Platform)
- First Aid
- Skills, Training and Transition to Work:
- Training by qualified Piping Industry Training School Red Seal Journeyperson
- Connection to potential work placements
- Completion of industry recognized safety credentials
Up to 7 Work Experience Credits
Open to all CBE high school students, who:
- Are in Grade 11 or 12 during the program
- Are minimum 16 years of age
- Are mature, punctual and reliable, as this is an industry setting
- Are able to commit to the duration of the program and attend one of two cohort times
- Students must complete these courses within two weeks of being accepted into the program:
HCS 3000 | HCS 3010 | CSTS 2020
All courses are available through the home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor and should be completed
prior to applying.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the training centre each day.
- Students will need CSA approved steel-toed boots
- Semester 2 (February to May), Monday to Thursday
- AM Cohort – Monday – Thursday, 8:30 – 11:30 am OR
- PM Cohort – Monday – Thursday, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Program Delivery and Location
- In-person at the Piping Industry Training School – Local 496 (5649 Burbank Road SE)
- All attempts will be made to place students in their preferred cohort (AM or PM), if noted on their application
How to Apply
- Read through the course(s) you are interested in applying for
- Review program choice with School Off-Campus Coordinator/Guidance Counsellor for program readiness and timetabling
- You are highly encouraged to attend the Information Sessions either before or after you apply for the program(s) to ensure the program is a good fit for you
- Download and fill in the Exploratory Application Form Package.
- Refer to the application checklist and ensure all items are complete
- Book an appointment with your Off-campus coordinator and/or guidance counselor to complete your application with signatures from all parties
- The school will submit the application to Unique Pathways on your behalf
All applications must be received on or before
Monday, November 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM. An application does not guarantee a seat in the program
Applications are now closed.
Unique Pathways invites students and guardians to save the date for an Information Sessions regarding details of your program(s) of interest. Follow the link to find out meeting dates, times and a link to the online Information Session.