Email Message Archive
Re-entry For Modified Schools | Aug 11, 2021
Aug. 11, 2021
2021-22 School Re-entry for Schools on the Modified Calendar
Welcome to the 2021-22 school year! We are eager to begin another year of learning at the Calgary Board of Education.
Alberta Education is expected to release an update soon regarding expectations for COVID-19 health measures in its 2021-22 school year plan. The CBE will review any additional guidance from Alberta Education and communicate any adjustments to all staff and families prior to Sept. 1.
In the meantime, modified calendar schools will welcome students for the first day of school on Tuesday, Aug. 17. At this time, mandatory masking will remain in place for all staff and students. Students riding yellow buses will also need to wear masks.
In addition, students, staff and families can expect the following health measures to be in place when classes begin in modified calendar schools on Aug. 17:
- Students and staff will still be expected to use the daily checklist to identify if they should attend or stay home
- Staying home when sick – students and staff who present with COVID-19 symptoms are strongly recommended to stay at home until symptoms resolve
- Proper hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfection of high traffic/touch areas
- Enhanced ventilation in schools
- Classroom cohorts in kindergarten to Grade 6
- No visitors, volunteers or external partners in schools at the start of the school year
Some health restrictions will be lifted, including:
- At the direction of the Chief Medical Officer of Health, schools will no longer inform close contacts of positive cases, but additional health measures may be implemented as the COVID-19 situation evolves, or if outbreaks occur
- Lockers and change rooms can be used
- Band and sports activities can proceed
- Limited off-site activities will be allowed
- Schools can be occupied for evening and weekend school activities
We all play a role in ensuring that our return to school is as safe as possible. As the school year begins, we will be monitoring the situation closely and following the direction of health authorities to ensure that we are doing everything possible to minimize the spread of COVID-19 in our schools and workplaces.
I wish you a wonderful start to the 2021-22 school year! If you have any questions, please follow up with your individual school. Modified calendar school offices will be open starting Thursday, Aug. 12. Please check your individual school calendars for details.
Chief Superintendent of Schools
This message is from the Calgary Board of Education (1221 8 Street SW, Calgary, AB, T2R 0L4, phone 403-817-4000). You can unsubscribe from receiving certain messages that are considered commercial electronic messages as defined in Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation.