Unique Pathways & Off-campus Education
Exploratory - Recreational Leadership
Students will gain foundational knowledge and skills in recreational leadership and the human services sector and will be trained by qualified and accredited agencies to earn industry-recognized credentials including: First Aid and CPR, High Five and LEAD with a focus on children and youth recreational leadership. Students will complete HCS3000 in the first week of the program.
Students will develop vital skills including:
- intercultural competencies
- play leadership
- physical literacy
- adapted physical activity
- children’s human rights education
- career preparation
- Build confidence and essential skills that will support working in the field of recreational leadership with a focus on youth programs
- Connect with a variety of key agencies and organizations including the City of Calgary, Ever Active Schools, Youth Employment Centre and the Calgary Public Library
- Develop and hone employment skills through instruction offered in partnership with the Youth Employment Centre
- Possibility of summer employment with the City of Calgary’s youth programs
Credits - up to 14 credits
in CTS and Work Experience
Open to all CBE high school students, who:
- Will be 16 years of age by the start of the program
- Are enthusiastic with strong communication skills, interested in working with children and are committed to teamwork
- Are able to commit to the duration of the program and attend daily from Mondays to Thursdays from 1:00 - 4:00 pm
- Please note: Eligibility in possible volunteer and employment opportunities may require you to have a Police Information Check completed
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the Calgary Public Library (800 - 3rd Street SE) each day.
- Students are responsible for catching up on missed work from their home high school when attending full day field trips.
Program Delivery and Location
- In-person at the Central Calgary Public Library (800 - 3rd Street SE)
- Semester 2 | February to May 2024
- There will be some full day fieldtrips scheduled. These dates will be shared far in advance, once they are set.
How to Apply
- Read through the course(s) you are interested in applying for
- Review program choice with School Off-Campus Coordinator/Guidance Counsellor for program readiness and timetabling
- You are highly encouraged to attend the Information Sessions either before or after you apply for the program(s) to ensure the program is a good fit for you
- Download and fill in the Exploratory Application Form Package.
- Refer to the application checklist and ensure all items are complete
- Book an appointment with your Off-campus coordinator and/or guidance counselor to complete your application with signatures from all parties
- The school will submit the application to Unique Pathways on your behalf
All applications must be received on or before
Monday, November 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM. An application does not guarantee a seat in the program
Applications are now closed.
Unique Pathways invites students and guardians to save the date for an Information Sessions regarding details of your program(s) of interest. Follow the link to find out meeting dates, times and a link to the online Information Session.