- Use active transportation (biking, walking, skateboarding, scootering etc.) to travel around your neighbourhood
- Create some skipping, bike, hacky sack, scooter, skateboard, dribbling, volleying, etc. challenges for self or others.
- Use a recipe to make a favourite meal
- Play word games such as scrabble, crossword puzzles, word searches
- Read/write comics, graphic novels, maps, magazines, pamphlets
- Start a family book club, discuss your favourite characters or parts
- Go on a brief walk with a notebook or sketchbook.
- From all that you have noticed, what would you like to change? What inspires you? Surprised you?
- What interesting things can you find to draw that you've never noticed before?
- Examine a family photograph or heirloom and share why it is special
- Call an older relative. Ask them to teach you a song or tell a story from their childhood
- Describe the place you are in right now from the point of view of something else. This "something else" could be an object, or another person, it can be whatever you choose.
- Learn a card game of Crib, Ninety-nine, or Big Three
- Design a probability experiment; for example, what is the probability that you will see a dog walking by your house in the next 10 minutes?
Review the Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for ages 5-17
Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines
TeenBookCloud (https://www.teenbookcloud.com/auto_login.aspx?u=calgarycbe&p=sd19): An online collection of eBooks, novels, graphic novels, video, and audiobooks through the Calgary Public Library
Calgary Public Library Resources: e-books, Bookflix, music, movies, online tutoring, encyclopedias, etc. Your library card number is your email without the @educbe.ca.
CommonLit: Fiction and non-fiction texts for students in Grades 3-12
18 Best Podcasts for Kids in Elementary, Middle and High School
What's Going on in this Picture? Images from The New York Times stripped of their captions – and an invitation for students to discuss and write about.
- Use visual estimation, and patterning to form an estimate based on a picture and then see a “reveal"
- Suitable for Grades 4 – 9
- Use logic to solve visual, interactive mathematical puzzles
- Suitable for K – 12
Let's Talk Science