Oct. 13, 2020
At the Oct. 13, 2020 regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of The Calgary of Education (CBE), the Board of Trustees (Board) accepted a recommendation from CBE administration to commence the public input process to consider the closure of National Sport School as set out in its Board Policy GC-3E – Closure of Schools Procedure. The Board passed the following motions:
THAT the Board of Trustees is satisfied that there is cause to commence the public input process to consider the closure of National Sport School in accordance with GC-3E Closure of Schools Procedure.
THAT the Board of Trustees approves the public input period to consider the closure of National Sport School be shortened from 60 calendar days to 43 calendar days in accordance with GC-3E Closure of Schools Procedure.
The Board of Trustees’
Closure of Schools Procedures (GC-3E) sets out the formal process that must be followed when closure is being considered, prior to the Board making its decision on whether or not to close this school. This includes providing notice to parents and students who are affected by the decision.
The Board of Trustees will hold a public meeting to hear from parents, students and other persons on the proposed closure. At the meeting CBE will share information about the proposed closure including the rationale, the plans for students, and the timing (amongst other things). The meeting will be held on:
Date: Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2020
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Microsoft Teams Virtual Meeting
Due to COVID-19 and related health measures the meeting will be hosted virtually to minimize in person contact. To participate in this virtual meeting, kindly RSVP providing your first and last name, and email address to
Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020. A meeting invitation link will be emailed to you in advance of the meeting.
We encourage you to attend the meeting to hear more about the proposed closure and to share your viewpoints.
Questions and Written Submissions
The Board of Trustees welcome your views and input and invite you to provide comments to them directly at:
BoardofTrustees@cbe.ab.ca, or through administration at the Area 1 Office in writing to:
Attention: Prem Randhawa
Calgary Board of Education
728 – 32 Street NW
Calgary AB T3E 3C2
t | 403-777-8710
Please note all written submissions must be received by
Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2020 for Board of Trustees to give due consideration to the written submissions received prior to making a final decision on the proposed closure.
Any questions regarding the Board of Trustees’ consideration of closure of National Sport School may be submitted in writing to Area1@cbe.ab.ca. It is not possible to respond individually to questions or inquiries prior to the public meeting. At the public meeting, having reviewed questions for relevancy and redundancy, selected questions will be answered. Should your specific question(s) not be selected for response at the public meeting, you will have ample opportunity to direct questions to CBE administration, and you are invited to do so.
Oct. 5, 2020
Notice regarding the Future of National Sport School
Dear Students, Parents/Guardians and Partners,
The Calgary Board of Education (CBE) would like to inform you that CBE administration will be presenting a recommendation to consider commencement of the public input process regarding the possible closure of National Sport School to the Board of Trustees on Tuesday, October 13, 2020.
During the 2019-20 school year, CBE administration shared concerns about the future of the school and heard community feedback around the options that could be considered. In March 2020, CBE administration advised parents and students that a further decision about the future of the National Sport School (NSS) for the 2020-21 school year had been postponed and that the school would continue to operate out of WinSport for the 2020-21 school year, with some programming adjustments.
At the regularly scheduled public meeting scheduled for October 13, 2020, the Board of Trustees will consider starting the public input process regarding a possible school closure effective June 30, 2021. This meeting will be live-streamed at the link provided below:
In light of the feedback collected over the past year, the Board will also consider shortening the required public input period to 43 days, this to more rapidly provide certainty over the future of the school.
If the Board approves the commencement of the public input process to consider the closure of the NSS, you will be notified of the opportunities that will be provided to provide feedback this fall.
More information will be available on the
National Sport School Website. The report recommending commencement of the public input process regarding the consideration to close the National Sport School will be available on the CBE website on Friday, October 9, 2020.
Director, Area 1