Exceptional & Special Needs
Gifted and Talented Education
GATE is accessed through a referral and placement process. In consultation with CBE school personnel, parents need to consider the unique needs of their child to determine whether GATE is the most appropriate placement. Gifted students considered for GATE placement require significantly different educational experiences and levels of challenges to thrive and achieve their individual potential.
- CBE students, please contact your child's current CBE School.
- Non-CBE students, those not currently registered in the CBE, please contact the CBE Specialist for Gifted Education.
Profile of Students in GATE
Students who benefit from GATE are identified as being moderately to profoundly gifted with complex learning needs. Typically, they have a composite of the following characteristics:
- makes thoughtful judgements and decisions
- keen sense of humour
- demonstrates a strong sense of justice and/or fairness
- perfectionistic (can be positive, negative, or both)
- demonstrates flexible thinking
- generates original ideas
- sees similarities, differences, relationships, connections, and/or gaps
- very curious about many topics
- persists when pursuing self-selected tasks
- has advanced interests
- asks deep questions
- demonstrates logical thinking
- uses advanced vocabulary
- understands new ideas readily
- thrives on being challenged
Last modified: 11/17/2017 3:08 PM
Website feedback: Webmaster